Wednesday, May 6, 2009

What A Difference A Day Can Make!

If you read my last post, you know that things haven't really been moving on the job front meaning there aren't a lot of interviews taking place but there are A LOT of applications being put in so all it takes is just one of those applications getting in the right hands and we are looking at a new day.

There also hasn't been activity on selling our house. As I've said in some earlier blog posts, last month was tough because we didn't have the funds just automatically coming in as we experienced in previous months that enabled us to pay our bills. We didn't panic but we just realized that either God was going to have to continue doing some miracles or this was when the really hard part begins as we have to let go of things that are in some ways forms of security...like our house, our good credit, etc.

As I said in one of my posts, things can all change in a matter of seconds and boy did that happen today. Now, before you get excited, we haven't sold our house and Vince didn't get a job but stick with me here because we saw firsthand today how there was nothing happening in the form of a likely job or potential buyer of our home to all of a sudden activity on a few fronts....

Remember it was just yesterday that I said we didn't have a peace about marking down the house even though that sounds and appears very counter-intuitive. Now, please don't think I'm saying that we aren't going to come off the price once we get an interested buyer. Right now, we just don't have a peace about marking it down without the interested buyer. We believed that we needed to list our house and we got several opinions who worked in real estate and came up with a good starting point and now we are just taking everything day-by-day.

Today, as I was literally buckling Grant in his car seat after picking him up from school, my cell phone rings and it is an agent wanting to show our house THIS AFTERNOON! Now, some of you may wonder why I'm getting so excited over a showing. Because... all it takes is the right person and the right time and we've got a sold house. The same can be said about a job...at the right time, the right job will open which may enable us to keep this house. Either way, yesterday there was nothing in terms of prospects for this house and TODAY, we have one!!! As excited as I was, I realize this is just a prospect and no offer has been made and it is very likely that one will be made. My excitement doesn't come from being delusional in thinking that we all of a sudden have a buyer. It comes because just yesterday we felt at peace after much prayer and speaking with our agent to keep the price the same and not even 24 hours passed and we had a showing! It just shows God can turn it all around at any moment and we have to listen carefully to what God is saying and follow it even when it doesn't make sense!

Then thirty minutes later when I arrived back at home, I got our mail and I was floored to open a very encouraging card from a sweet lady Vince used to work with who I've mentioned before has also lost her job. Inside were all kind of coupons for baby diapers and items along with a very generous check! This is the 3rd check she has sent us and for the same amount!!! That kind of faith just blows me away. Here she is in the middle of a job loss and she continues giving generously believing that God will provide her needs too.

As if that isn't enough to make you just praise God, Vince gets a call asking if he could come in for a last minute interview with Famous Footwear. They believe that starting next month they may have some positions available with some of those being an assistant manager.

I guess just these three events today was God's way of trying to encourage us in the midst of Him teaching us to "wait" because while none of this may pan out, I'm reminded that it can all change tomorrow so live in TODAY and enjoy it for what it is.

As excited as I was about these new developments, reality hit in as I was leaving the house for the showing. There was some bitter sweet feelings because this is the house we have made home and while we are very open to leaving it however that may unfold, it is still bittersweet. What I didn't expect was Grant's reaction as we left. As we were driving away, I explained why we needed to hurry out the door. The agent had told me a general time frame she would be coming but she told me she would call as she was a few minutes away which meant grabbing all three kids and heading out ASAP. Grant just couldn't understand why we might have to leave our home for good. He started crying saying, "I want to stay here. I don't want to leave this house!" I had to fight back the tears and explain on his level that we may not have to leave but right now Mommy or Daddy needs a job so we can stay. On some levels he seems to understand when we pray about a job or explain what God did when we have gotten money in the mail which enables us to stay in our house. However, today, it was like it all came together for him and reality hit.

Throughout this entire situation, I haven't minded telling our kids we can't get certain things at the grocery store or go eat at certain places like we could before. It is a good lesson for them to learn that we need to be thankful for what we do have and I haven't been very bothered for our boys to see this firsthand with our situation. They have never objected or had a hard time with these adjustments but the thought of really having to leave our home and how it impacted Grant really broke my heart. He then asked, "What if God doesn't give a job before we have to leave?" Good question I told him. My next response was, "Then, there will be something better for us and you will be just fine. We will all be together and we will have somewhere else that will be fun to live."

Now, I know there are times we like to paint a nice, happy picture for our kids to help ease their fears but I really do believe this even though it will be hard to let go of this house should it come to that. While I know kids are extremely adaptable, I wasn't expecting him to feel so attached to this house at his age. However, there has been so much change in our household that some things that stay the same provide security and that applies for us adults too. He will be fine if we have to move but it did make me sad seeing how confused he was at the idea that we may have to leave.

I like nice and simple answers to our prayers. For instance, Peyton had a bad dream back in January and I prayed with him and the next night he had no bad dreams. Do you know that since January, there has not been one time before we pray that he doesn't ask me to pray for his dreams. This includes his naps too. It is neat for us as his parents to see God answer his prayers and him start to make the connection that God hears him and answers his prayers.

However, there are those times when He answers them but not in the way we think and it is in those times that make it very difficult to explain to children, especially when we as adults are confused about the answer to our prayer. While I very much want to be wherever God would lead us even if it is out of my comfort zone, we would appreciate your prayers for our kids. While I believe that if we leave this house there is something better for us (I'm not referring to the kind of house...just whatever God has in store will be better just maybe not in the material sense), it may not "look" like that to our kids. Our kids have a lot of questions about God and we have a lot of spiritual conversations in our house because of their curiosity, especially with all that has been taking place with the MANY provisions we have experienced and the various things and people that have shown up on our doorsteps bringing us blessings. I just don't want their perception or understanding of God to be warped in any way because of what may happen, especially if that involves us having to move. I could easily see how a 4 year old would think that God did not answer his prayer for Daddy to get a job or for us to stay in this home. While we know this is all part of a bigger plan and purpose, it is hard to explain that to a child. I know I must leave that concern up to God to work out because He cares far more for our kids than I do which is so hard to fathom. I also know that whatever He allows will be in ALL of our best interests and is needed in order to mold each of us and make us ALL the way He created us each uniquely to be. So, while today was a nice change and a good reminder of how quickly the tide can change, there was this moment today with Grant that still makes me sad as I think about it. As you pray for us, please specifically pray for how this is and will impact our kids. I know God has it under control and He will prepare their little hearts for the days ahead.

Quick Update since I wrote this:
TODAY (Thursday, May 7th) I got a call from another agent for a showing so that makes 2 showings of our house in less than 24 hours!

No comments:

Post a Comment