Wednesday, February 10, 2010

February School/ I, J, K Activities

Here is just a snapshot of some things we have done in school. We are in the process of reviwing all the letters and doing hands-on crafts and activities to reinforce the letter and letter sounds. With each letter we are doing an art gallery where the letter and the artwork created on the letter are hung around the room.

For example, I is indigo ice painting. I froze blue tempera paint in a plastic cup and put a plastic spoon in it before freezing. Once it is frozen, the frozen paint pops right out and they paint inside the big block I and i that I draw on construction paper.
Sorry, couldn't get it to rotate and I'm not sure why these are smaller than the rest.




Other "I" Activities:

Making impressions. We went outside and around the house to gather items that would make good impressions in clay. We used the Crayola air dry clay and then the next day, they painted their impressions.






Making an igloo out of milk jugs. We still have a lot more to collect in order to finish it but this is going to be a reading nook when we are done. I incorporated this into our "I" week and unit on winter.








We had ice cream sundaes for dessert to continue the "I" theme and you can work in a math lesson with counting, number recognition, and sorting with the toppings.

"J" Activities
If this falls during Halloween time, you can actually decorate a real jack-o-lantern. Otherwise, you can have the kids make them out of construction paper.

Art Gallery...Jeans on J. They glued denim swatches on the J.


We took jacks and dipped them in different colors of paint and then put construction paper inside a shirt box and put the top on and shook it up to make abstract art work on our "J"




Snacks were jelly bellies. These could also be used with the art gallery where you use jelly beans to decorate the J.

"K" Activities:

Art Gallery (Kool-Aid K's) Have the kids put glue inside the block K and k and then take different colors of Kool-Aid powder and sprinkle over the glue.




Making kites




King for a day...
In our case, the boys took turns during the day being king and sharing with the other king (their brother) from the other kingdom their special gift. We said that in each kingdom there were special talents and the kings would get together to help and teach one another. For example, Peyton is great with balloons so he created balloon creations for Grant and himself and Grant loves building so he built a house and made certain inventions in his house and they had fun playing in it. Peyton also loves music so during our songs, he led us with his guitar and Grant read a story to us so they each shared their speciality with the other king. The first order of business for the day was the kings and queen (that is me) decided it was p.j. day since it was so bitterly cold outside and we weren't going outside for the day.

They each made crowns and sat in their special chair when they were king.






Later in the day, we had a special time where they shared the books they made about themselves from another unit we had done a few weeks back. This was their first time to share their books.




Grant's House and inventions


Peyton did this all by himself. The only help he needed was putting a knot in the balloon after he blew it up and then he took the balloons and created animals,hats, and other creations.






Other Misc. Lessons:

Music...we have a song for each letter and a song for each Bible story so when we listen to the songs during circle time, we sometimes bring out the instruments.


Hopscotch Review Game...Of course, you can incorporate this with your "H" activities too. I let them draw their own hopscotch course and they have to write the numbers and then I do one. It is a good review for number recognition and writing the numbers.


Hide-n-Seek Review: I use this game as a review for site words for Grant and letters for Peyton.


While this isn't part of our "academic" day, the boys also help with cleaning. They have their own chores but they have an opportunity to earn extra by going above and beyond. Believe it or not, they absolutely love cleaning. Of course, I don't let them handle harsh chemicals but on the days where we clean, they will say that cleaning was their favorite part of the day so while they love it, I've got great extra helpers and it frees me up to have more fun quality time with them because we get it done faster.


No comments:

Post a Comment